Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My First Fondant Cake

Last weekend, I learnt something which was very interesting - Decorating a cake with Fondant!!

Well, though I love and enjoy eating food, I do love to cook too! This reminds me of my uni days...I like to cook something different each weekend for a change and also I love to bake. And I do admit I have sweettooth, which might be one of the reason baking can satisfy my sweet tastebud.

It has always been too costly for me to attend hands on baking or decorating classes when I was in Melbourne. Since I'm back in Malaysia with less pricey class (comparing to Aussie $$), I came across a few bake and decorating accessories supply shop that offers baking classes.



My decorated fondant cake


The first step to a fondant cake, is to bake a heavier base cake. This is to ensure the cake won't collapsed as the weight of fondant is heavier compared to normal icing. Also, to measure the size of the cake and technique to cut is horizontally without getting a slooping side cake. Secondly, to colour the fondant, lots of kneading and colour matching is needed.



Gumpaste (this is create flowers and other decorative for your cake) is added with some Gumtex to create a firm texture for the flowers. It is amazing to know that fondant can be kept for like a year of so, if its wrapped up with a cling wrap, stored in an air-tight container in room temperature..Cool!!


The borders are beautiful isn't it? My royal icing decorating skills still needed much improvement.. Techniques learnt: Kneading, Quiling, pipping royal icing on the cake, as well as making flower petals.



I'll start baking more varieties of cakes and to learn more of fondant icing as well as buttercream/royal icing. I'm searching around for more baking classes which are hands on, as you'll know what mistakes that you've made and that you can improve and prompt you to ask more questions! Practice make perfect ya? I hope I can bake more of those for my friends a family, or as a part time small business :)

No comments:

Post a Comment